2011 North Market Show Preview & ILIS Update

ILIS debuted 1 year ago at this show. Since then we have amassed over 370 videos and published a little short of 300 posts. This will be 294 or 295. I do not know if I can keep this pace up for another year, but it will be fun trying. I want to thank all the ILIS “talent” that have helped me with everything along the way, especially Scott Roberts who was instrumental in getting me to this very point and time. There was some rough patches along the way, but I got through them, and I am very excited about the future for this site. I always envisioned a chile blog for the people who not only love it spicy like myself, but to all the companies that make it spicy too. To give everyone a voice, even the trade shows, and in doing so you help the entire industry. I am not sure how much we impact the chile universe, but even if it is a little bit, then I am grateful to have done so.

Now a little news about this fiery food show in Columbus, Ohio. ILIS is sponsoring 3 events at the show-
1- Amateur Hot Sauce Contest– Columbus lets the public show their fiery food talent with a create your own hot sauce contest.
2- Heartbreaking Dawns’ Scorn Bread Challenge– a spicy corn bread eating contest.
3- Spicy Cherry Challenge– A first of it’s kind challenge just for the North Market Show. Vendors were told in advance to create a fiery food product with cherries in it. Why Cherries? It is President’s Day Weekend, and the infamous George Washington fable about chopping down the cherry tree would make cherries the perfect choice. In this contest, select chileheads will get to vote on their favorite cherry product for the weekend. A special award will be presented Sunday morning to the winner after all the votes are counted. If you wish to have a vote, then see me at the show for a ballot.

The Weekend starts off with CaJohn’s Open House on Friday February 18 @ 2:00pm – 7:00pm. Come by and get a tour of their new facility and check out how award winning products are made. Stay and hang for a while, food is usually served for those who attend by Chef Steve.
Location: CaJohn’s Fiery Foods
816 Green Crest Drive
Westerville, OH

2011 North Market Fiery Food Show
Market Hours (Different hours for show, listed below):
Friday: 9am – 7pm
Saturday: 8am – 5pm
Sunday: Noon – 5pm

Schedule of Activities:

Saturday, February 19
Fiery foods vendors (12) in Dispatch Kitchen
10 a.m., Guacamole contest in Dispatch Kitchen
10 a.m. – 3 p.m., face painting
11 a.m., Chef Chili Challenge in northwest corner of mezzanine ($5 sample fee includes chef and amateur chili tasting)
11 a.m. – 1 p.m., music by Gipson & Fitz Trio
12:30 p.m., Amateur Chili Contest in northwest corner of mezzanine
1-3 p.m., music by Island Breeze
2 p.m., Fiery Cornbread eating contest in Dispatch Kitchen
3-5 p.m., music by the Shaw Brothers
3:30 p.m., Jalapeno eating contest in Dispatch Kitchen

Sunday, February 20
Fiery foods vendors open at 10 a.m. for brunch traffic (all North Market vendors invited to open at 10 a.m. as well)
10 – 11:30 a.m., Fiery Foods Brunch upstairs ($12, reservations available here⇒)
12 p.m., Judging of Chile Pepper Art Contest in northwest corner of mezzanine
12-2 p.m., music by Island Breeze
12-3 p.m., Mark Wood Fun Show
12:30 p.m., Amateur Hot Sauce Contest in Dispatch Kitchen
1:30 p.m., Amateur Salsa Contest in Dispatch Kitchen
2-4 p.m., music by Andrew Hartman
2:30 p.m., Hot Ice Cream Sundae eating Contest in Dispatch Kitchen
3-5 p.m., music by Willie Phoenix
3:30 p.m., Hot Wing eating contest in Dispatch Kitchen

Registration for Fiery Foods EATING contests will take place in person on the day of those contests. Registration for all other contests is available by emailing mmartineau@northmarket.com. Limit 15 entries per contest.

Vendor List:
Aimee’s Blue Ribbon Spices, Black Swamp Gourmet, CaJohns Flavor & Fire, Chuck Evans’ Montezuma Brand, Crazy Uncle Jester’s Inferno World, Dragonfire Foods, Happy Trails! Chili Company, Heartbreaking Dawns, Mudflats Brands, Ole Ray’s Sauces, Race City Sauceworks and Urban Chefs.

Saturday Night after the show, their is a gathering for the 2nd Annual Fiery Asian Dinner. Here is the Facebook page for that: CLICK ME. Guests limited to 60 – all attendees MUST pre-register through CaJohn’s at 614-418-0808 or at the CaJohn’s booth at North Market on the day of the event. Here is the menu for the dinner:

Appetizer Plate:
BBQ Rib, Crab Rangoon, Spring Roll

Soup:
Hot & Sour Soup

Entrees (served Family Style unlimited portion-some very hot**, hot* and mild):
Sesame Chicken
Szechuan Green Beans*
Hunan Triple Delight (scallops, shrimp, beef, chicken mix)**
Hot Pepper Chicken**
Shrimp in Garlic Sauce
Home Style Beef**
Chicken Pad Thai*
Dynasty Fried Rice (shrimp, chicken, beef, pork, vegetables, mixed)

Dessert:
Cake

$23.00 per person – Tax, Tip, Beverage included
Adult beverages available for individual purchase
Leftovers can be taken home

I am looking forward to seeing all the familiar faces, and enjoying all the festivities. I will cover the event in the usual video fashion, and share with our English counterpart, the http://chilefoundry.co.uk
to help share some of what the US has to offer. Sharing with them, I hope to bridge the gap between our 2 chile lands. At any rate, I will give you something to watch when I return.

Please Share this Review:

52 thoughts on “2011 North Market Show Preview & ILIS Update

• February 15, 2011 at 7:41 am

Annabelle and I are looking forward to seeing you all again and meetng some new people!

• February 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

I wish I could be at this show. I hope everyone has a great time.

I want to congratulate you, Buddah, on reaching the one year mark! :_redpepper:

It’s good to see more trans-Atlantic cooperation between The Chile Foundry and other U.S. sites. I’m going to reconvene my “Chile Letters From America” for them this month.

• February 15, 2011 at 9:26 am

Yes, Buddah, one year, very nice. I shall buy you the foo foo drink of your choice on Saturday night.

• February 15, 2011 at 11:16 am

I could not have done it without you bud. You were instrumental in our first year. :_toastbeer:

• February 15, 2011 at 11:18 am

Thanks Scott. It was a rough year for the both of us in different ways, but it is those trials that we survive that make us stronger. Here is to a fun-filled 2011.

• February 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Gonna be there in C-Bus this weekend. Hope to see you all there! Staying just a few blocks from North Market, so I can crawl home after burning out my last taste bud. 🙂

• February 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Hey that is awesome Cajun. I am glad you are finally making it to the show. Make sure you sign up for the Asian dinner Saturday as well.

• February 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Gotta approve it with the wife and stepson. As you know, my stepson lives there (right over on Vine, near the Clippers stadium) and I timed a visit with him to coincide with the FF Weekend.

I will let you know about Saturday when the boss lets me do so (she is the smiley on the right). :angryturnip:

• February 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm

WHOOOOOOO!!!! I am super excited for this one, just so much great stuff going on, and an awesome group of friends! The extra day! The Buffet! The contests! That’s it I’m headed out there NOW! cherry product (check), cornbread (check) provision for buffet dishes (check) big basket of excitment (check) :afro:

• February 15, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Buddah, you have done a fantastic job and have been a fantastic friend to all of us. i tip my beer tonight to you my friend.

• February 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm

:_toastbeer: Just get your buttocks to the show, and we can toast in person over some spicy rangoon.

• February 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

not probable, but we’ll see. I need to find a ride (thats on the way)…

• February 15, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Scoop up Goonie Nick and/or a Hot Tamale.

• February 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm

lol – I was talking to Goonie Nick the other night. He’s busy with school but promises to be back soon.

• February 15, 2011 at 8:55 pm

did you guys just switch forums to banter back and forth, that’s funny?!?

• February 15, 2011 at 9:01 pm

They call it something but not sure it is multitasking.

• February 16, 2011 at 7:18 am

Nicole….uncheck:(

• February 16, 2011 at 9:39 am

Looking forward to it!! Been wanting to attend for awhile and everyone says this is a great show for all involved and whom attend.

Still deciding on what Cherry product to go with, either the black Cherry & Ancho Gastrique or the new Le Merisier, a spicy black cherry and brandy steak sauce and marinade.

Look forward to seeing everyone again!

• February 16, 2011 at 9:46 am

Chad, you can enter as many as you want. Crazy Uncle Jester told me he had 3-4.

• February 16, 2011 at 11:00 am

I am pumped for this .I CAN’T WAIT!!What time does the open house start and when are you getting there.I will be there for sure.I also got my NAGA VIPER that will be with me.So HUDD buddy I have the bottle I promised you man.I’ll use one for people to try out if they want to.I can bring my pepper seeds if anyone would a few.I am sure I have atleat 300 or more probably way more. 😎 I have all sorts of hot,super hot,and some harder to find seeds.This was a good excuse for me to plan a little weekend getaway with last several months I’ve had.WOOHOOOOO I’m ready to get some heat on!! I can’t wait to see all of you guys that will be there.As for Mr. Scott Roberts sorry you can’t make it bud.I will definitely see you at WOF! Take care of yourself man. You are 😎 dude.

• February 16, 2011 at 11:04 am

I will also have some Peanuts from Hell if anyone will want those.As with yet another complication from my Diabetes I was fighting Gout attacks last 2 months and realized protein bars and nuts was contributing to them.So they are up for some free snackin and they are pretty good too.I also have a lot of Thai chilies dried if anyone wants any I can bag some up crushed or powdered.If you would like me to do that for you or I can bring them whole also if you prefer that.

• February 16, 2011 at 11:06 am

:hungry:

• February 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

I have a ? What’s parking like a at North Market? Is it hard to get a spot and how much is it.Whats the best way to park without costing a lot.A penny saved there can go to more sauces . 😉

• February 16, 2011 at 12:30 pm

We’re staying at the Hampton Inn, like a block away….yeah. Anyone else staying there?

• February 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Staying at the Candlewood Suites “the Polaris”. We stayed there last time. Staying through Monday morning.

• February 16, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Steve I will need you as a judge for the Amateur hot Sauce contest on Sunday. Also announcing the winner of Spicy Cherry Challenge before that starts. I look forward to seeing you again Steve. I will not bring my Magazine Viper sauce if u are.

• February 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Parking sucks and is costly unless you walk a ways. There is a lot, but it still costs a lot even if validated by North Market.

• February 16, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Where is that Buddah?

• February 16, 2011 at 2:02 pm

There are lots West of the North Market on Vine Street that are $5 for all day. There is a lot at the NM, but it is too expensive to park all day (even with validation) There is a parking garage on Vine right across from the NM that is $8 for all day.On Sunday the meters are free on the streets around the NM.

• February 16, 2011 at 2:04 pm

In NYC the parking would be $50 no problem Al, what’s your beef?

• February 16, 2011 at 2:04 pm

The lots on Vine are 1 block away from the North Market

• February 16, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I’ve found that the parking garage across the street from north market ends up being the cheapest if you’re going to be parked there all day.

• February 16, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I hate NYC and most others. Columbus is not an exception.

• February 16, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Yeah Buddah, stop yer belly achin’…

• February 16, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Buddah HATES NYC, us and most everybody, WOW!!!

• February 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Buddah, I almost forgot to tell you. There’s a new Cajun restaurant in DC that you have to check out when you get back from C-Bus. The Cajun Experience – http://www.cajunexperience.biz

• February 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm

My belly is not achin’ is yours?

• February 16, 2011 at 4:14 pm

They have one in Leesburg. I been there, not bad.

• February 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Forgot you lived out in the boonies. I went to that one as well. The boudin balls are great! Best Cajun food in the DMV (though that doesn’t say much, given the paucity of Cajun restaurants here in general). 🙁

• February 16, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I never tried their boudin balls, so I will check them out next time. My favorite Cajun restaurant is on Long Island in a small hole in the wall place called the Bayou. Just so you know that I have been to New Orleans 5 times, and I still think it is the best.

• February 16, 2011 at 7:37 pm

this is true TG, this is true….I should get one of those cutouts of Nicole for the events she can’t make it to. However, we will have Mama Trish in the house.

• February 16, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Since everyone is announcing their Cherry product….here it is Heartbreaking Dawns is proud to present: Something delicious and incinerating with cherries, in a limited run for the North Market Contest!!! WOW, guess you’ll have to make it to North Market to find out!
    :wheelchair:

• February 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

Too bad about that $50 parking up at the Bayou though, eh? LOL

But I know how you feel. My favorite places are still my childhood haunts. We get so used to what we first started out with that it gets hardwired into our brains. I’m sure that I’ll make it up to LI and check out the Bayou someday. 🙂

• February 17, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Buddah, sorry we’re gonna miss you this weekend. I poked the bear too much. It’s a no go. But it looks like I have a yes for NOLA! Are you gonna make that one?

• February 17, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Sorry I will not see you there, but I definitely will be going to the NOLA show. Maybe he will wake up and surprise you. Either way, smile, it is just a bump in the road.

• February 18, 2011 at 2:12 am

Cool, Steve, can’t wait to try thr Viper. I was wondering if you had eveer recieved it or not. See you Saturday morning! I hope!

• February 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I have requested that Firehead Thomas and Buddah do a video at North Market eating some of my Trinidad Chiles. The chiles are frozen so I figure chop them up and eat a spoonfull. Would like them to do two vids. 7 Pot Jonah and Yellow 7 Pot. If Buddah will not do this he should be circumcised again. Then he will truly be a little Buddah! Anyone else want to join them???