New Record Broken Again!

Taken from our English friends at the Chile Foundry here is their link to the story:

Australian Chile seed grower Neil from Hippyseeds Pepper Company, who has been a YouTube sensation with his super hot Chile pepper eating and my inspiration to use YouTube for ILoveItSpicy now claims to have the new record. He is reporting on his Twitter page to have a Trinidad Scorpion pepper that has tested over 1.46 million Scoville units. This surpasses the Naga Viper which was over 1.3 million. The Nada Viper didn’t have the record a month before this new claim. This Trinidad Scorpion strain is called the “Butch T” Scorpion named after “Feast Your Eyes on This” contestant and Zydeco Hot Sauce owner, Butch Taylor. Congrats to Neil and to Butch T with his connection to this pepper. Here is Neil’s Twitter page:

Please Share this Review:

62 thoughts on “New Record Broken Again!

• March 22, 2011 at 11:13 am

I think someway or another the Trinidad Scorpion will emerge the undisputed king, even according to Guinness. BTW, very cool of Neil to dedicate that to Butch!

• March 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I can relate…f’in hot :splode:
    Gotta hand it to him, I couldn’t get enough milk and ice cream!

• March 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Nice I’ll definitely have to get a hold of some of these when I get a chance.I wanna try them bad . πŸ™‚

• March 22, 2011 at 7:53 pm

First I comment by saying Gerald Fowler just recently E mailed me a few days ago saying I am acting like a sore loser among other things regarding my interview with Al. Then he E mailed me again to ask me how I was going to act regarding Neil today. So now the news about the Butch T Scorpion. What am I going to do with that??

First let me start off by saying this statement. I believe the majority of Trinidad Scorpions grown all over the world today originated with Butch Taylor. These are the smaller variety with well defined tails and much hotter than the larger varieties. Although my seeds were not directly from Butch I believe somewhere in the past my smaller Scorpions not Morugas came from somebody who got them from Butch. Ours consistently tested out in 2010 at 1,200,000- 1,300,000+
    I am not surprised that Neil had some go over 1,400,000.

I want to take the time here to thank Butch Taylor for his generosity. For without it many would have not been exposed to the Scorpion. The Scorpion is not a made up fairy tale pepper like the Naga Viper or Infinity chile. It is a real and genuine variety. I would have liked to get the record but I am so happy that two ethical people like Neil and Butch who are good to chileheads will get well deserved recognition. With that being said I talked to Butch today to ask him his story. And now I write it here. My webmaster will be integrating it into my Scorpion page on my site tonight.

Back in 2004 Butch participated in a small pepper forum and a seed bank. You had to donate to the seed bank in order to get seeds from it. A chilehead from New Jersey deposited seeds of the Trinidad Scorpion and Butch acquired them. He grew out three plants and all pods were very consistent and quite a few had distinct Scorpion like tails. Butch saved every pepper and every seed. Being the generous man he is he then shared hundreds of seeds with people all over North America and as far away as Australia. Chileheads that were serious isolated these and spread them out over the next 7 years. So Butch is the Johnny Appleseed of the Trinidad Scorpion. He gave all these seeds away originally. This is why we call this strain the Butch T Scorpion. And it is well deserved being named that! Think about it! I am glad that this pepper has the new Heat record. I am glad that A guy like Neil will get recognition for this. And I am glad that Butch T will get his name on it! Oh yes I am glad that Mr. Fowler can take his made up Naga Viper variety and his extract tampered Naga Viper sauce and hopefully just fade away. Thank you Butch and Neil for all you do. I congratulate both of you :winner:

• March 22, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Where did the “chilehead from New Jersey” get the seeds?

This pepper didn’t just fall out of the sky. Who discovered it to begin with?

• March 22, 2011 at 9:16 pm

HELL YEAH! Congrats, this is what chileheads in the know have been saying for quite some time!

• March 22, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I don’t think we need to do a family tree. Butch says the grower in New Jersey got it from another grower in New Jersey. So how far can we go back. Butch gets credit because he saved pods and maintained strain and has grown 7 years straight. A lot of people get seeds from a seed bank and never know who donated them.

• March 22, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I like what Al said in beginning Nada Viper! We should have Machines Naga Viper sauce tested for extract and if found post results over all of the Hot sauce blogs. At North market people tasted extract in it. Funny bottle sent to a reviewer Al Buddah has no extract. Then bottle sent to machine has extract. Gerald must think chileheads in U.S. are dumb. Hey machine could you send a sample of Naga Viper to Marlin’s lab??

• March 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Ill send whole bottle and what he doesn’t use he can send back.You send me an address and it will be in the mail soon. πŸ™‚

• March 22, 2011 at 10:33 pm

The Man’s name was “Mark” from New Jersey, he used to go by the username of Groovyone on the old gardenweb site, I have limited resources on my laptop, I’ll check more into it and give a little more info when I can get back to my desktop in Mississippi.

• March 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I want to thank Butch for giving us one KICKASS pepper.I will be enjoying scorpions all summer after harvest woohooo.I can’t wait til harvest time.

• March 22, 2011 at 10:36 pm

AMEN brother preach on Jim. I with 10000% buddy.He can’t fool us chile vets.

• March 22, 2011 at 11:11 pm

😐

I just hope my Scorpions germinate. Let alone, produce peppers. Although, it’s too early and I guess I might just be a little impatient. But, I will say that I will definitely 7 pots. Three quarters of my 7 pots have sprouted now and are looking good.

• March 22, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Thanks so much, Butch, for everything you have done. This new record is just an attestment to your passion and commitment to peppers and fiery foods. If I wore a hat, it would be off to you.

Congrats Neil. It’s great to hear that such a down to earth and passionate man has grown this pepper.

:winner: :winner: :winner:

• March 23, 2011 at 12:03 am

I’d love to try it but my favorite will always be the fattali.

• March 23, 2011 at 12:14 am

Ryan,buddy if you don’t have good luck with your scorpions let me know.If I’m having a good crop ill hook you up with some buddy.I’m always out to help a chilehead friend in need.I am hoping for a huge year this year.I am hoping for atleast 20 + scoprion plants minimum.I may have some extra scorp seeds shoot me your address on Fb I’ll send you some and maybe a couple other little goodies. πŸ™‚

• March 23, 2011 at 12:15 am

I will grow quite a few Fatalis also.I have a lot of seeds of them.If you need a few shoot me a message. sasesp at hotmail dot com is my email

• March 23, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Will do, I have 6 sprouts now that are doing great but they Re really the only thing that is so if the others don’t come up I could use a few more. I’m on my phone now but I will email you after work. Thanks.

• March 24, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Sorry I never got around to sending that, a few more seeds are starting to sprout so I think I will be good, thanks for the offer though I really appreciate it. Maybe we can trade recipes or something.

• March 27, 2011 at 1:36 am

THanks to Butch and Niel for getting those superhot chilliseeds to oz so I was able to grow them and get them tested Thanks to all Marcel The hot chilli chef

• March 27, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Thanks for stopping by Marcel. Give our best to Neil and friends.

• March 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Way to go Jim! Hope he will “fade away”, far away! :bike:

• March 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

Hi Machine, can you let me know when you bought the sauce so we can find out what has been going on. All we can come up with is a labelling mistake as the sauce of 15 minute burn is in the same size bottle as the naga viper. Give me your order details and I will get a fresh bottle of naga viper in the post.

Gerald

• March 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to stop by and introduce myself. I’ve been asked to come by the site and check out these posts! I’m glad that the Trinidad Scorpion made it as far as it has, and I am glad that everyone is enjoying it so much! I knew that there were many out there with a passion for the pod but I want to say that I think it’s really cool that folks are buzzing so much about these peppers. I hope that some day you all get to try the Scotch Bonnet, TFM strain as well, I found these at the Trenton Farm Market (hence TFM) and sent them around some time ago (around the same time as the scorpion). While they are not as hot as the Trinidad Scorpion, they are absolutely delicious. Best wishes to you guys!

Mark in NJ

• March 29, 2011 at 10:02 pm

What exit? Do you run with scissors?

• March 29, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I think you are thinking of the wrong Mark from NJ. I chatted with him the other day. That guy is Exit 109.

• March 31, 2011 at 3:21 am

Just checking CaJohn?? Or is your memory fading in and out. Maybe you need to mix some Geritol with your Hot Sauce dude! Hahahahahahaha!

• March 31, 2011 at 10:02 am

Duffy, I know that you are not in need of Ex-Lax…

• March 31, 2011 at 5:06 pm

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

• March 31, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Yes I know I talk a lot of crap John. I really think you should come out with a line of Senior sauces. AARP Jolokia Blend, Grandpas Geritol Infused Habanero, Congo Black sauce and hair Tonic (eat it or comb into hair to get the gray out), CaJohns Cayenne Prostrate Rub (you won’t have any trouble peeing at night after rubbing this in)and finally “Over 70 Sauce” It comes with a nipple adapter so you can drink it straight while dentures are soaking!

• March 31, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Thank you for your wish list. I had no idea you suffered from so many maladies Jim. I think you should see a doctor instead. You can always eat your chiles after doseing. I wish you luck!

• April 14, 2011 at 11:16 am

Hey Mark, I’ve been looking for TFM seeds! That’s one SB I haven’t gotten my hands on. One THP member sent me some of his from a previous harvest, but he admits they may have crossed with other pepper types. You know where one can get pure stock? I’ve seen a few foreign sites with em but you know how that goes. If you could point me in the right direction it be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Capitone

• April 14, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Jim, well said. The T Scorpion seeds I got from you have germinated and the plants look great. Looking forward to trying this pepper.

• April 14, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Welcome to ILIS Capitone. I am not sure if Mark is watching this thread or not. I hope someone comes along with some help for you.

• April 23, 2011 at 11:11 am

love this page ,, Im from British Columbia Canada and would love to try these seeds , please let me know were to get some !!

• April 23, 2011 at 11:13 am

Welcome John. John, click the “Refining Chiles” banner to the left, and you can start there. I passed along your request to Jim Duffy.

• April 24, 2011 at 5:41 am

I wish. I checked Jim’s site and he is “out of stock”. I would like to get my hands on some too.

• June 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I would love to try these seeds, does anybody have it?

• June 7, 2011 at 3:35 am

Yoxx, click the web banner to the left called “Refining Fire Chiles”. There might still be plants, if not then you might want its brother the Moruga Scorpion. It also tested hotter than the ghost chile.

• June 7, 2011 at 9:56 am

Jim told me yesterday that he still had some Trinidad Scorpions left. I would jump on it and get ’em while you can, yoxx.

• July 1, 2011 at 12:42 pm

STOP THE PRESS!!!!COMING REAL SOON A PEPPER FROM TRINIDAD AGAIN THAT WILL BREAK THE SCORPION RECORD…1.6SHU…STAY TUNED FOLKS

• July 1, 2011 at 1:10 pm

No details Valerie? Moruga? Chocolate T.S.? By the way, welcome to ILIS.

• July 2, 2011 at 2:35 am

Dear valerie, unlessit is tested by multiple labs multiple times it is not a record for a new variety. It might be a record test but that’s all it will be which means absolutely nothing to those that buy quantity of chiles to make their products. This bs of a new record every couple of months might as well be as credible as those that say elvis is still alive. What amazes me is the gullibilty of people that believe in all the hype. Bosland set the standard and now everyone goes around it. Wonder why? I will tell u why because cheating and circumventing things is easier for people to do. People by nature don’t. Care about character or ethics. And paul bosland is a man of character. Until a test is done the way he does it it means nothing! Only reason I believe in the scorpion is I had two labs do multiple tests and it did come close to 1,400,000. I have said my peace and I stand by my statements.

• July 2, 2011 at 7:38 am

Take a deep breathe Jim. You can’t change the world by getting all uppity.