What is happening this year at one of the best hosted hot sauce shows on the planet? Promoter Carol Borge has made this a go to show, now entering it’s 13th year. It is special in so many ways that other shows fall short of doing. I get this feedback from the vendors. Carol is very attentive to the vendors and her guests needs. She wants everyone back and she makes sure everything goes smoothly, and she circles the event throughout the weekend asking if everyone is happy. She knows the value of saying thank you which is lost on some of the other venue hosts. This being my 3rd year out of the last 4 years, I would certainly call Carol a friend just on how special she has made me feel over that time. I wish nothing but success to all the vendors and its reflected right back to her in their praise of the show. This year will be quite special too as you will see below.
Date & Time:
2013: September 21st | September 22nd
11 a.m. to 6 p.m. | Noon to 5 p.m.
Admission is $8, Children 12 and under free
NO Pets or Coolers
10505 Cash Rd
Contact: Carol Borge
The festival is a showcase for award winning products such as hot sauce, salsa, marinades, rubs, wing sauce, pickled products, jams/jellies, dips and more. We have vendors coming from all over the country including, California, Seattle, Ohio, Indiana, Chicago, Delaware, Florida, Louisiana, Texas of course, and Australia! We also have bands (blues, rock, zydeco, etc.), children’s booths (including free face painting) and Arts & Crafts/Misc Retail Vendors. Browse, sample and buy flavorful gourmet products that are mild to hot. You’ll find products that satisfy your palate… collectables… and, of course, for the brave of heart (or just crazy) super hots – XXX hot! There’s always plenty of cold beverages and food concessions. The festival benefits the Snowdrop Foundation who raise money for pediatric cancer patients.
Above is the new trophy created for Intensity Academy’s 2013 Lolly LickAThon! For those attending the show that want to tackle the little innocent lolly, they must sign up at the Intensity Academy booth Saturday of the Festival. Contest will be held 3pm. The other contest people love to enter is Silverleaf International’s Ghost Pepper salsa eating competition at 2 p.m. The contest is over so fast that if you blink you might miss the finish. All contest times are subject to change.
Chile-dren’s Area: ONGOING
- FREE Face Painting by Fun Faces of Houston
- Sponsored by Houston Hot Sauce Festival
- Sandart / Sandy Candy / Skinny Puppets by Betty’s Crafts & Entertainment
- Kiddie Striker, Goldfish Game and a Balloon Toss. More to be announced
Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal, (lead guitarist from Guns N Roses), said he would sit in with the bands if they would have him. I got a unanimous “Hell Yeah!” From all – Silverado Band, Zydeco Dots and Willie B. and the Silverbacks/Willie Good Blues Jam!!!! Times to be determined. Bumblefoot will also be at the festival with his award winning sauces. He will also be helping execute people at CaJohn Hard / CaJohn’s Xecution Station!!!
- Fire Eating by the Pyro Juggler, Thomas Wood – 2 Performances on Saturday.
- Times to be determined by Thomas based on heat exposure and outdoor temp.
Behind the scenes two things are going down out of the public’s watching eye. First is the 2nd Annual ILoveItSpicy Best Salsa in the World Contest. This year at last count we have 75 entries in 3 categories – Traditional, Fruit-Based and Black Bean. Before Saturday’s show kicks off, our expert judges will be deciding who is the best of the best and announcing the winners at the after show BBQ dinner. I have provided the awards, and they are sweet this year. Those that win will be very happy to win one of these.
On Sunday before the show starts, the coveted Houston Hot Sauce Festival People’s Choice Awards are given out. The vendors are always pumped to receive the vote from the public. It is a special moment to watch their reactions when their names are called. Speaking of the vendors, we could not finish up our post without mentioning who will be at the show…
- Austin Gourmet Foods – Pflugerville,TX
- Austin Slow Burn – Austin,TX
- Backyard Grill – Houston,TX
- Big Daddy’s Hot Sauces – Houston,TX
- CaJohn’s – Westerville, OH
- Call Me Gourmet – Houston, TX
- Captain Thom’s Chili Pepper Company – Baltimore,MD
- Cin Chili & Company – Houston,TX
- Flaming Joe’s Inc & Red Hot Robins – Geneva,IL
- Grinder’s Signature Hot Sauces – Kansas City, MO
- Hacienda Maize – Denver, CO
- High Octane Sauce Company – Katy, TX
- Hotline Pepper Products – Spring, TX
- Hotter Than A Mofo – Katy, TX
- iBurn – Houston, TX
- Intensity Academy – Tampa,FL
- JACS Tailgaters – W. Monroe,LA
- Jerky Connection – Honey Grove, TX
- Joy Peppers – Austin,TX
- Kala’s Kuisine – Austin, TX
- Kearley Seeds & Pepper Co. – Houston,TX
- Ladybird & Friends – Gulf Breeze,FL
- Lisa’s Sweet & Spicy Pickle – Houston, TX
- Mild to Wild Pepper & Herb Co (R) – Fort Wayne,IN
- The Miracle Grill Mat – Montgomery, TX
- Patter Fam Sauces – Wheelersburg, OH.
- Pepper Palace
- PP Salsas of Texas – Houston, TX
- PuckerButt Pepper Company – Fort Mill, SC
- Russell’s Cajun BBQ Sauce – Lafayette, LA
- Salinas Salsa Works – Rosenburg, TX
- Sauce Goddess – San Diego, CA
- Silverleaf International – Stafford,TX
- TATS Sauces and Marinades – Wildomar,CA
- Texas Hill Country Olive Co. – Houston,TX
- Texas Select Seasonings – Santa Fe,TX
- Texas Sensations – Santa Fe,TX
- Van Roehling Sauces & Rubs – Columbus,TX
- Volcanic Peppers – Omaha,NE
- Wicked Cactus Sauce – Chesterfield, MO
- Zane & Zack’s World Famous Honey Co. – Renton,WA